Upper Back Pain Diagnosis and Treatment at Maryland Farms Chiropractic in Brentwood, TN
Do you struggle with upper back pain? If you live near Brentwood, TN, we want you to know that our chiropractor, Dr. Liz, is Nashville native who can help you find natural relief from your frustrating symptoms and dysfunction.
Common Causes and Symptoms of Upper Back Pain
Upper back pain—which generally refers to pain in and around the thoracic spine—can be brought on by a variety of different factors, including posture, ergonomics, how often you sit, whether you have a weak core unit, if you perform a lot of repetitive movements or heavy lifting, or if you experience some sort of acute accident, such as a slip, sports injury, or auto accident.
Specific diagnoses which we often determine during patient examinations include:
- Disc injuries, such as a herniation or bulge
- Vertebral joint subluxation (the joint moves out of alignment), including dislocation of a posterior rib joint
- Muscle spasm or strain
- Spinal ligament sprain
- Spondylolisthesis (a stress fracture in a vertebral bone causing the bone to slip forward relative to the one below it)
In rare cases, your upper back pain may be referred from dysfunction with an internal organ, such as gallstones in the gallbladder (this tends to refer pain to under your right shoulder blade).
Symptoms Associated with Upper Back Pain
Signs and symptoms of upper back pain will vary depending on the type, severity, and location of the underlying injury or condition. Pain can be sharp, sore, or achy. In some cases, and especially if a thoracic nerve root is being compressed by an injured disc or misaligned joint, pain may refer to the shoulder or arm.
Additional symptoms may include neck pain, spine stiffness, and decreased activity tolerance. These symptoms can change depending on activity level and time of day.
How Our Chiropractor in Brentwood TN Diagnoses, Treats, and Prevents Upper Back Pain
Dr. Liz uses state-of-the-art technology and techniques to non-invasively diagnose and treat your upper back pain. With an expert eye for posture and movement, she can assess your body mechanics and identify areas of imbalance, weakness, and incorrect movement patterns which may be increasing your risk of injury. She can also provide:
- Diagnostic digital X-ray imaging
- Chiropractic adjustments to realign your spinal joints and trigger natural, hormone-mediated pain relief
- Corrective exercises to restore postural imbalances and improve core strength and endurance
- Lifestyle and nutritional counseling to support wellness through holistic behavioral changes