Lower Back Pain Diagnosis and Treatment at Maryland Farms Chiropractic in Brentwood, TN
If your back hurts, your first source of comfort may be in the knowledge that you are not alone. About eighty percent of Americans experience back pain at some point in their lives, and lower back pain is a large part of this. As of 2013, studies show that about a third of Americans are experiencing pain in their lower back, but that pain occurs for many different reasons. At Maryland Farms Chiropractic in Brentwood, TN, our chiropractor, Dr. Liz Baker can help you figure out why you are experiencing pain in your lower back and work with you to alleviate that pain and limit its ability to return.
Conditions That Cause Lower Back Pain
The reason why you may be experiencing lower back pain can vary largely, and some of the causes can be a sign of serious issues, including heart or reproductive issues. Most of the time however, the reason for the lower back pain is something that is commonly treated by a chiropractor. Some of these include:
- Sprains and Strains are caused by overstretching. With a sprain, the result is the tearing of ligaments, tissues that connect the bones in a joint. With strains the overstretching results in the tearing or muscles or tendons, the connective tissue between bones and muscles. Lower back strains are very common.
- Herniated Discs - Herniated discs happen when the protective cushion inside the spinal discs starts to go outside of the protective shell. This aggravates the nerves and causes pain.
- Disc Degeneration - Degenerative Disc Disease is a condition that occurs over time due to the aging process, and may also be aggravated by excess weight. Spinal discs contain a cushion that is largely made up of water and these may begin to dry out and will offer less protection against shocks.
- Whiplash- A common injury from car accidents where a quick jerking motion has caused the body to "catch" itself throwing off alignment and causing pain.
- Sciatica - The sciatic nerve is the largest in the body. It begins in the lower back and travels through the buttocks and down the back of the leg all the way to the feet. If a herniated disc is causing this kind of traveling pain, chances are it is sciatica.
- Arthritis - Many types of arthritis settle in the back, while chiropractic treatment doesn't necessarily cure the pain, it can make it more bearable.
- Obesity - Carrying extra weight puts extra strain on the body, including the lower back. At Maryland Farms Chiropractic we can help take away some of the pressure, and work with you on a nutrition and exercise plan that can bring more long term results.
- Pregnancy - Lower back pain in pregnancy is common, and chiropractic treatment can be a great option because it doesn't use drugs or medications to alleviate the pain. Our chiropractor uses gentle techniques in treatment that are safe for you and your baby.
Schedule an Appointment Today!
If you are experiencing lower back pain, there is a good chance a trip to the chiropractor can get you on the right track to feeling better. To schedule an assessment contact Maryland Farms Chiropractic in Brentwood TN at (615) 309-8279.